Alisha has guided the Patterson Award since its inception in 2005 under the Sports Philanthropy Project and continues to oversee the program directly for the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation under Rounding Third LLC since 2009.
The Steve Patterson Award for Excellence in Sports Philanthropy is presented annually by the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation, the nation’s largest health-focused philanthropy. The award acknowledges sports organizations and individual sports philanthropies that have demonstrated excellence, leadership, and a sustained commitment toward a mission that serves and improves the lives of others.
Steve became widely known as a member of three John Wooden NCAA championship basketball teams at UCLA (1969/1970/1971), as an NBA player (1972-76, Cleveland/1976, Chicago), and as head coach at Arizona State University (1985-89). His career also included serving as founding Executive Director of the Grand Canyon State Games, President of the Super Bowl XXX Host Committee and Commissioner of the Continental Basketball Association.
His contributions uniting businesses and communities to help those less fortunate are his most enduring. After Steve’s death from cancer at age 56 on July 28, 2004, the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation created this first-of-its-kind award in 2005.
Watch this video that celebrates 10 years of the RWJF Patterson Award.
Previous winners of the Patterson Award have included:
- Philadelphia Eagles Youth Partnership (2005)
- Jacksonville Jaguars Foundation (2006)
- Memphis Grizzlies Charitable Foundation (2007)
- The Moyer Foundation (2007)
- San Francisco Giants Community Fund (2008)
- Steve Nash Foundation (2008)
- Marvin Lewis Community Fund (2009)
- Red Sox Foundation (2009)
- Dikembe Mutombo Foundation (2010)
- U.S. Soccer Foundation (2010)
- Cincinnati Reds Community Fund (2011)
- Brian Griese and Judi’s House (2011)
- Chicago White Sox (2012)
- Notah Begay III Foundation (2012)
- Women’s Sports Foundation (2012)
- San Francisco 49ers (2013)
- Tony Hawk Foundation (2013)
- LA84 Foundation (2013)